Saturday, June 16, 2007

Saturday Double Feature

My brother, his girlfriend, the hubs, and I saw Ocean's 13 and Knocked Up today. I liked both. Neither was outstanding. Far from. I was, however, sufficiently entertained.

[Slight spoilers to follow.]

Ocean's 13 was little more than George and Brad mugging for the camera, but, of course, that was pretty enjoyable. I think my brother pointed out the main reason why the movie wasn't particularly compelling -- the boys were just doing what they were doing for revenge's sake. There was no heist. It's all about the heist, damn it! Nevertheless, the flick was slick. I don't feel bad for having paid to see it, although my brother's girlfriend might. She fell asleep! Oh well.

Knocked Up was remarkably similar to Judd Apatow's other hit, The 40-Year-Old Virgin. In what way? Good jokes and banter followed by sap, sap, sap. I could do without the sap, but I guess Apatow is smart to include it. This way he gets the money of what I call The Stupid Girl Awww Contingency. These are girls who love stuff like Titanic, Love Actually, Pretty Woman, Beaches, Fried Green Tomatoes, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood, The Bridges of Madison County, Bridget Jones's Diary, Notting Hill, When Harry Met Sally, and Sleepless in Seattle (oh, hell, these girls eat up anything with Meg Ryan).

Me? Not so much.

Thankfully, Knocked Up was cleverly raunchy enough to satisfy my puerile taste, even if the movie didn't really make me guffaw at any point. It did remind me, though, of how much I adore Paul Rudd. What an underappreciated actor! He pretty much stole every scene he was in. I've loved that guy since Clueless.

Unrelatedly, I still have yet to satiate my filet-o-fish craving. Sad.

4 comments:

  1. Damn, I didn't think of myself as "That Girl" until I realized that I love Pretty Woman, Beaches, Fried Green Tomatoes, Notting Hill, When Harry Met Sally, and Sleepless in Seattle. Dang!

    I totally thought Knocked Up was LOL-funny, but I guess I'm not only "That Girl" about sappy movies, but I give an easy laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i <3 paul rudd.

    i'm surprised you included when harry met sally. i usually find that's the only romantic comedy most guys like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Knocked up this weekend too. I agree...it was funny but not outstandingly so. I might have bought into the hype and ruined it for myself. There were a couple of raunchy funny scenes that I dug so that was good. I also think Paul Rudd is great! I didn't want to read the Oceans part for fear of spoilers...I'll get back to that after I've seen the movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice double feature you saw there ;)

    i wasn't really that overwhelmed by "knocked up", either, but it was at least worth the cost of the movie ticket. or, half of it, i guess.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...