Thursday, March 20, 2008

I Heard It Through the CrepeVine

Wan and Lilcee joined me tonight at The CrepeVine Bistro for vines. I was totally expecting crepes, but the servers just kept bringing us vine after vine after vine. So unexpected. So tough and fibrous. So unpalatable. So cruel.

Ok, not for vines. For crepes. Crepes taste better than vines. Or, at least, I imagine they do.

It is my goal to eat my way through Old Town Pasadena, and my two partners-in-crime agreed to accompany me on this quest as often as possible. I welcome others to join us in this quest.

That is, if I know and like you.

And now...on to the crepes!

Imported cheese plate ($13). I don't remember any of their names, so, from bottom left in clockwise order: stinky strong cheese, slightly less strong and unstinky cheese, delectable creamy creamy creamy cheese (my fave), mild firm cheese, grapes, delicious honey vinegar reduction (perfect for baguette), and lightly sugared pecans.

Specially ordered smoked salmon and caper crepe. Salmon was on the fishy side. Capers were overpowering. I picked them all out and shoved them to the side after my first bite of my one-third portion (we shared all the savory crepes equally). Not my favorite by a longshot.

Club crepe with ham, turkey, bacon, cheese, and avocado ($11). Lilcee kindly ate all the avocado for us. 'Twas a happily deconstructed sandwich in a soft warm blanket and just as comforting.

Duck confit crepe with garlic cream, wild mushrooms, boursin, truffle oil, chives ($15). Tender. Flavorful. Rich. The best savory offering of the night.

Specially ordered strawberry banana crepe with nutella and vanilla brandy flambe. Totally decadent. Totally awesome.

Crepe suzette with Grand Marnier and fresh oranges ($9). Light. Tangy. Like springtime.

For some reason, our group picture and my picture of my apple pie crepe a la mode ($9) -- which was drenched in the most wonderful sinfully buttery, sugary, apple-y, cinnamon-y sauce -- were corrupted and un-uploadable. Boo! I'm sure Wan will have pics up soon, though, so fret not.

I liked all of these crepes more than the ones I had at La Creperie a few months ago. Why? The thin buckwheat pancakes had no gumminess whatsoever, even when not at their maximum heat. Kudos to The CrepeVine Bistro for this. This little place is worth a try for this reason alone.

17 comments:

  1. I'm a huge crepe fan! Savory or sweet...Seeing the Nutella pics made my mouth water for that creamy goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love LOVE crepes!!!!!!! It'll be fun to recreate some of these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. one of my absolute favorite places to eat. the bay scallop and potato crepe is awesome too

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am so sad i could not come and help cee eat the avocoados. and help you guys with the rest. yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My son Bobby would love the Nutella crepes. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The duck confit crepe looks exactly like what I had in Yosemite - but in crepe form. If its anywhere near as good I may have to make the drive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks so delish, and I'll put nutella on anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like fun! Sad to have missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness those look awesome. I picked the wrong time to look at this since I'm starving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I definitely want to accompany you as you conquer restaurants in Old Town.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i'm down to join. a smaller group get together will be a nice change of pace

    ReplyDelete
  12. That last crepe looked sooo yummy. Sad I missed it but happy you had a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love crepes. especially on the street in paris.

    (ANOTHER thing Mr. Diabolina doesn't eat. Seriously, I am a saint to put up with his non-eathing ways.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sad you never made it here before their kitchen burnt down. They used to have so many yummy things on their menu--including some of the best french fries ever. They came with their huge bowl of mussels in garlic and white wine. Yum! I was craving that something fierce and went there a couple of weeks ago only to learn of the sad demise of their kitchen. I personally only like crepes for dessert, so I had to leave and satisfy my salty fried craving elsewhere. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. i want to join you guys the next time you venture out that way for dinner.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...